Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

FOUND: New Work by Alan Potter

As I await my little nugget's arrival (I am 40 weeks pregnant!), I find myself grateful for the opportunity to begin a new chapter in my life as a full time mommy/artist. I am also grateful to have the support of wonderful friends, such as fellow artist Alan Potter. Alan is taking over my studio for a month, allowing me a bit of a maternity leave. I'm really excited about the exhibition he has created, and hope you support Alan by attending the Opening Reception:
Saturday, August 10th 
from 5 to 8 pm


Each sculpture in this exhibit incorporates an object found and kept by someone else . . . items found randomly on the sidewalk, on a hike, or other places, usually of little value, yet compelling in some way. Potter's self-imposed challenge was to create a ceramic sculpture that showcased the objects and stories given to him by others. This exhibition proves he does so with both wit and creativity. 


Meet Mr. Rawlings, "One High-Strung Individual"


I gave Alan the vintage tennis racket -- bent, but beautiful, found in a freebie bin for sculpture students at my college. I have been holding onto this racket for over a decade now, wanting to incorporate it into some sculpture, or, at minimum, to use it for part of a still life drawing. I just never quite figured out how to make it work in my art. When Alan came to me with his exhibit idea, I knew it was time to let the racket go.

Talk About "Enlightenment"


I LOVE found object sculpture, and had a wonderful preview of some of the works. Here is one that showcases Alan's wit -- the person who donated the fuse is a collector of Buddah statues. It also actually lights up! I'm excited to see it in the little alcove in the front gallery where the fountain usually sits, creating almost a makeshift shrine.

"FOUND" will be on view at Heather Green Studios, 27 Subway Street, through Saturday, September 14th. Both the open and close of the show fall on the Bisbee After 5 artwalk!

Alan's GALLERY HOURS:

Saturdays 10 - 6
Sundays 11 - 4
by Appointment -- contact Alan -- (520) 664-5529
or e-mail him at alanpotterceramics@yahoo.com
You can view more of Alan's better-known works at PanTerra Gallery on Main Street, or click on this link!

1 comment:

If wishes were fishes, I would have an ocean . . . Let me know what you think!