Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Date Night: Bisbee After 5

Matt and I went to Bisbee, Arizona 's 2nd Saturday Artwalk known as "Bisbee After 5" to check out the arts scene. Bisbee is an old (copper) mining town that is now home to many artists, bed & breakfasts, hippie-types, and an annual run up a large set of stairs. (My favorite Bisbee t-shirt: "Keep Bisbee Wierd.")

Bisbee galleries are attempting to create a monthly event (like First Fridays here in Phoenix) to draw tourists and locals alike. What makes Bisbee's art walk different? Besides the charming buildings and interesting people (Matt people-watched while I perused the art), one can actually visit all the spaces within the three hour time frame.

My favorite space, hands-down, is SAMPOE Gallery . . . a dynamic husband-wife couple whose individual work is very different, yet play off of each other very well. Poe Dismuke creates kinetic sculptures from found objects (mostly wood and metal) that remind me of marbleworks (a toy my youngest brother used to play with). His sketches are quite wonderful too. Sam Woolcott paints in bright colors with bold strokes, working in both pastel and acrylic. Her pieces include some plein-aire work from the beautiful surrounding landscape.

Here is an example of Poe's kinetic sculptures intersecting with his sketches. He was makes me want to create sculptures from found objects again . . . I am in love with the materials, and how they are arranged. Someday our home will be filled with works by the likes of this duo.

http://www.sampoegallery.com/

Another highlight on the tour . . . TWIST gallery. TWIST is kind of etsy-like . . . I might see if my prints/cards will sell there, as the owner is fantastic. She was asking if I am represented by any galleries (which I am not) . . . I am excited by the prospect, and will have to make sure I follow up.
Matt and I plan to make this artwalk a "Date Night" again, perhaps with other couples (our cousins live in town with their spouses, so it could be some fun bonding time) . . . You should go, even if you end up going stag. I totally would! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If wishes were fishes, I would have an ocean . . . Let me know what you think!