Pages

Monday, March 23, 2009

New Dresses

Newest work in my studio . . . Spring Break was productive.



I have been playing with paper dolls in my studio . . . They are a theme I have played with before (Not Your Doll series), and have a million new ideas for new work, variations on this theme. I am playing with text, and with dresses. I LOVE that one of the women who came through the studio during Art Detour said my work is beautiful . . . "with teeth."

The paper doll dresses will intentionally be clothing that is representative of women's roles (wedding gown = wife, nurse's oufit = caregiver, etc.) . . . Right now, I am evolving the concept to have text that states "I am not the dress," and would like to push it into the positive realm with "I am . . ." (I am a welder, I am a nurse, I am a size 2, I am a size 18, I am a sister, I am a feminist, I am a dog-lover, I am an optimist, I am a pessimist, I am an independent thinker, and on and on and on . . .) I'm excited to see these develop!

I am not your paper doll

I am not the dress

I am an artist . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

If wishes were fishes, I would have an ocean . . . Let me know what you think!